SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

Belleville Volksblatt History

No Images Available

Dr. F. Wenzel originally established the Volksblatt, a German paper, Feb. 23, 1856. He continued [as] editor and publisher from Feb. 23, 1856, to Sept. 12, 1857, when he sold the paper to Franz Grimm, who in March, 1858, consolidated it with the Zeitung.
After Bartholomew Hauck sold the Zeitung to Mr. Rupp, his son Louis, who was a printer, restarted the Volksblatt in the summer of 1860. It was both a daily and weekly publication. It was continued until 1865, when it was sold out to Messrs. Fischer and Schmall of Mascoutah, who were then proprietors of the Stern Des Westens. Schmall removed the consolidated offices of the two papers to Belleville, where, soon after, he sold to Messrs. Semmelroth & Kircher, both practical printers, who took charge May 15, 1866, and continued for four weeks. Then Kircher sold his interest to Daniel Hertle, who in turn sold to Semmelroth, who continued the paper until 1872, when it became the property of Frederick  E. Scheel.
After the removal of the Volksblatt office to Belleville, the paper was merged with the Stern Des Westens.

(From the History of St. Clair County, Illinois by Brink, McDonough & Co. 1881).