SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

Edwardsville Intelligencer History

The Intelligencer was founded by James R. Brown at Edwardsville, October 24th, 1862. It started as a Democratic paper and remained so, notwithstanding the vicissitudes through which papers of that political complexion passed. Mr. Brown conducted the Intelligencer until his death, which event occurred April 30, 1882. He was a native of England. He came to America while yet a youth, settled in Edwardsville in 1853 and learned the printer's trade.

(From The History of Madison County, Illinois, by W.R. Brink, 1882).

In 1883 Charles Boeschenstein bought the business. It was sold to Gilbert Giese and Charles Spilman in 1915, and in 1927 Giese bought out his partner. Then in 1960, the paper was sold to William Dwight and his sons William, Jr., and Donald.