SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

Fountain History

No Images Available

The Fountain was begun in July, 1848; it was first a weekly and subsequently a daily. It was devoted "chiefly to the cause of temperance and the advocacy of the societies and clubs formed to promote this object and the cause of temperance and reform." [Benjamin] Hayes, the publisher, sold the paper to the Rev. Hiram P. Goodrich in July, 1849. Its publication was discontinued the following year.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri by Alexander N. De Menil, 1901).

Devoted to temperance, morals, literature, commerce, agriculture, manufactures, general news, mechanic arts, etc.  Benjamin Hayes and H.L. Vance, editors and publishers. Var: Weekly Fountain.