SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

Illinois Republikaner History

This German newspaper was organized and established in June of 1872, and the first copy was issued issued July 1st of the same year. It was published by a company composed of Russell Hinckley, Sebastian Fietsam, Charles Stephani, Edward Rutz, Col. Thomas, and other representative and leading Republicans of St. Clair county. Henry Huhn was elected President of the Board of Directors, and also was made business manager and editor. The paper was published until May, 1873, when Mr. Fietsam bought up the stock, and soon after published the Zeitung, and consolidated the Republikaner with it. In January, 1873, Mr. Huhn, the editor of the Republikaner, severed his connection with it, which had much to do with the hastening of its dissolution.

(From the History of St. Clair County, Illinois by Brink, McDonough & Co. 1881).