SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

Madison County Advertiser History

No Images Available

Founded by James R. Brown, the paper made its first issue June 26, 1856. Mr. Brown issued four numbers, when the office passed into the possession of O.C. Dake, Esq. Subsequently Joseph L. Krafft assumed control, and from him it was transferred to William G. Pinchard, Jr. In 1860 the latter sold it to Col. Frank Springer, and he in turn transferred it to Thompson & Dunnegan. They published the Advertiser for eight months, then Thompson got entire control of the office, and he continued the publication until the latter part of the summer of 1865, when it passed into the possession of Messrs. Whitman & Crabb. They changed the name from the Advertiser to the Madison County Courier.

(From The History of Madison County, Illinois by W.R. Brink & Co. 1882).