SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

The Miner and Workman’s Advocate History

No Images Available

In the spring of 1863, John Hinchcliffe commenced the publication in Belleville of a journal bearing the above name. It was specially devoted to the interests of the miners, mechanics and producing classes. It rose rapidly in public favor and soon had a large circulation. During the first year of its existence its circulation had become so large that it was found necessary to work off the edition by other than ordinary methods. A steam engine was fitted up in connection with the press room, which was the first steam engine power press ever run in Southern Illinois, and upon it the Miner and Workman’s Advocate was printed. The publication was continued in Belleville until the latter part of 1866 when the office was removed to St. Louis and there continued for one year when it was abandoned. Mr. Hinchcliffe was an able writer and a man of great energy.

(From the History of St. Clair County, Illinois by Brink, McDonough & Co. 1881).