SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

St. Louis Chronicle History

The city’s first penny paper, published by the Scripps-McRae League, which also owned papers in Kansas City, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Covington, KY.  Purchased by Nathan Frank in 1905 and merged into the Star-Chronicle. Chronicle was later sold to E.G. Lewis.
 

The Chronicle is the only one-cent daily paper in the city. Its editor, General Hawkins, has completely remodeled and rejuvenated the paper, which is popular in the extreme, and which claims to have a larger local sale than any other paper published.

(From Old and New St. Louis by James Cox, 1894).