SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

Der Stern History

In 1877 some influential German Democrats of Belleville organized a stock company, known as the “Belleville Printing Company,” with a capital stock of $6000. The Directors the first year were Hon. Gustavus A. Koerner, President; Franz F. Metschan, Secretary; Henry A. Kircher, Treasurer; Alonzo S. Wildman and Louis Pittham. F.F. Metschan was elected Business Manager, and Frederick E. Scheel, Editor. The officers for the second year were the same except H.G. Weber took the place of Henry A. Kircher. The first issue of the Stern was made October 28th, 1877.
The Stern, when organized, was fitted up with new type, steam presses, and fully equipped to do all kinds of printing in both the German and English languages. Under the management of these gentlemen, the paper became the leading German Democratic paper in Southern Illinois. In the campaign of 1880 it rendered conspicuous and valuable service in ably presenting the issues and principles of the political organization of which it is the exponent and defender.

(From the History of St. Clair County, Illinois by Brink, McDonough & Co. 1881).