SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

The Weekly Hesperian History

The Weekly Hesperian was the first reasonable attempt made to publish a purely literary paper in St. Louis. It was issued in the regular five-column, eight-page form. The first number appeared January 5, 1867, and the last April 20th of that same year. James W. Allen was its proprietor, and Professor John L. Tracy its editor and principal contributor...Unlike the majority of Eastern weeklies devoted to popular literature, The Weekly Hesperian contained nothing trashy, and its short essays and papers, on the whole, were the best that had ever appeared in a St. Louis literary paper. Its suspension was due strictly to the apathy of the local reading public.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri by Alexander N. De Menil, 1901).

“Devoted to the literary interests of the Mississippi Valley”