SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

The Western History

The Western Educational Review was launched in 1866, by Professor O.H. Fethers, the elocutionist; it was printed by E.F. Hobart & Co., who bought it in 1872. Its name was shortly changed to The Western, and after a temporary suspension it reappeared under the editorship of Professor Horace H. Morgan, principal of the high school, and was published by a stock company. It was devoted, principally, to educational matters, and secondarily to literature and science. While it furnished during its career some of the best pages of magazine literature ever issued from St. Louis, its influence and circulation, nevertheless, were almost entirely local. Its contributors were nearly all from St. Louis and connected with educational institutions...The Western suspended in December, 1881. It was one of the very few high class magazines that St. Louis has given the periodical world. During the last two years of its publication its original high standard was not always maintained.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri by Alexander N. De Menil, 1901).

The Western was distinguished for its high literary character, and enjoyed an excellent reputation, not only throughout America but in Europe. It did not, however, meet with sufficient appreciation in St. Louis, and in the aggregate some fifteen thousand dollars was lost in the attempt to make it pay, which it was on the point of doing when [publisher] Mr. Jamieson's other and more pressing business rendered its discontinuance advisable.
(From the History of St. Louis City and County by John Thomas Scharf, 1883).