SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

Western Educational Review History

The Western Educational Review was launched in 1866, by Professor O.H. Fethers, the elocutionist; it was printed by E.F. Hobart & Co., who bought it in 1872. Its name was shortly changed to The Western, and after a temporary suspension it reappeared under the editorship of Professor Horace H. Morgan, principal of the high school, and was published by a stock company. It was devoted, principally, to educational matters, and secondarily to literature and science. While it furnished during its career some of the best pages of magazine literature ever issued from St. Louis, its influence and circulation, nevertheless, were almost entirely local. Its contributors were nearly all from St. Louis and connected with educational institutions.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri by Alexander N. De Menil, 1901).

In 1866 or thereabout the Western Educational Review, a monthly magazine, was established by Professor O.H. Feathers, a well-known elocutionist of that period, his publishers being Hobart & Co. In 1872 the name was changed to The Western...Its contents were mainly of an educational, literary and scientific character. It expired not long after.
(From the History of St. Louis City and County by John Thomas Scharf, 1883).