SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

Western Journal and Civilian History

No Images Available

In the early years of its publication the first railroad lines connecting St. Louis with the outer world were being planned and built, so a large portion of the Journal's pages were devoted to railroad news and statistics. Mrs. Mary B. Hall, of Iowa, contributed articles on general literature to its pages; George B. Davidson, of Illinois, on agriculture in Scotland; Joseph Ormand, of Missouri, on education and general literature, and J. Loughborough, also of Missouri, "The History of the American Fur Trade." Its St. Louis contributors were Alfred S. Waugh, on the fine arts; Professor John H. Tice, then superintendent of the public schools, on education; Mann Butler, "The History of the Valley of the Ohio," and commercial reviews; Hugh A. Garland, on slavery and the African slave trade; Francois des Montaignes, "The Plains," and Edward Stagg, poetry. Mr. Tarver contributed a large number of commercial and industrial, and Mr. Cobb an equal number of literary articles and reviews. The Journal and Civilian suspended in 1856. It was the most utilitarian of the St. Louis magazines.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri by Alexander N. De Menil, 1901).

Devoted to agriculture, manufactures, mechanic arts, internal improvement, commerce, public policy, and polite literature. M. Tarver and H. Cobb,editors/proprietors

A Word to Our Patrons

A reasonable regard for our personal interests compels is to refer to the fact that the accounts of many of our subscribers have remained unsettled for several years. This is perhaps as much our fault as theirs, for we have rarely sent out accounts or solicited payment from those residing out of the city. The amount now due this office is more than we can conveniently allow to remain outstanding; and we respectfully request our friends to examine their receipts and remit the amount they find due at their earliest convenience.
After such long indulgence, we feel persuaded that no subscriber who feels an interest in our work will delay payment when informed that the small amount which he owes is positively needed. Remittance may be made at our risk through the Post Office.
(Western Journal and Civilian, May, 1855)

The Western Journal and Civilian was published at least until May, 1855, the date of the last number in the public libraries. M. Tarver and H. Cobb were editors and proprietors. Mr. Cobb was a lawyer by profession, and among the contributors were Bernard Pratt, Dr. H.A. Prout, and Edward Stagg.
The magazine was a curious melange of commerce, fine arts, agriculture, literature, transportation, translations from French and German, politics, etc., and rather deserved the fun that was sometimes poked at it. The Republican once, acknowledging the receipt of a copy "with four poetical bon-bons from the junior editor," remarked, "We do not know that Hunt or DeBow or any other commercial statistician ever ventured on poetry. It is highly improbable that a man whose cranium is rented out as a storehouse for fish, lard, molasses, and tobacco, lead, hemp, tallow, cheese, and pig-iron can possibly keep his imagination in nimble order and his acquaintance with the Muse on the bestof terms. The Pegasus of the junior is a tame and sorry nag, - hog-backed, no doubt, by commercial drudgery."
(From the History of St. Louis City and County by John Thomas Scharf, 1883).