SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

Western Journal History

The Western Journal was begun in January, 1848, by M. Tarver and T.F. Risk. It was a monthly devoted to agriculture, manufactures, mechanical arts, commerce and general literature. The design of the publishers was to lay before the people of the Mississippi Valley "that class of facts and information which relates to the varied pursuits of the people." It originally contained sixty-four pages of reading matter, which later on was increased to eighty pages. In 1851, Mr. Risk sold his interest to Henry Cobb, from which time on it became somewhat more literary in its contents, and contained occasional illustrations. The same year its name was changed to The Western Journal and Civilian.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri by Alexander N. De Menil, 1901).

In January, 1848, was established the Western Journal, a monthly publication devoted to agriculture, manufactures, the mechanic arts, etc. The names of Micajah Tarver and T.F. Risk appeared as editors, and among the early contributors were H.A. Prout, M.D., Judge John M. Krum, Thomas Allen, and professor John H. Tice. Alfred S. Waugh contributed an interesting series of papers on fine arts. After a while, and without any notice, the name was changed to the Western Journal and Civilian.
(From the History of St. Louis City and County by John Thomas Scharf, 1883).