SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

The Western Literary Emporium History

No Images Available

The Western Literary Emporium was published monthly; it was devoted to "sound literature, morality, the diffusion of useful knowledge, and the elevation of man." A.H. Ernst, Governor Robb, Rev. A.A. Lipscomb. Rev. Henry Smith, D.D., J.R. Barnes and Rev. John C. Lord, D.D., were its principal contributors. It was published by Stowell & Langley until the seventh number, when J.M. Stowell became its editor, and Stowell, Haskin & Green its publishers. Each number contained sixty-four pages, accompanied by a frontspiece. The first number bore the date of July, 1848.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri by Alexander N. De Menil, 1901).