SEARCH WEBSITE
               
SEARCH ARCHIVES - click here

Woman’s National Daily History

Not a newspaper of St.Louis but a newspaper from St. Louis was the Woman’s National Daily in its genesis. It was started by Edward G. Lewis, the founder of the Woman’s Magazine and of the Woman’s Farm Journal, two monthly publications of large circulation. The want of a daily newspaper, which Mr. Lewis felt, was scattered along 40,000 rural free delivery routes. An Egyptian Temple,

Woman's National Daily Building
Woman’s National Daily Building
The pressroom
The pressroom

the interior copying Karnak, costing $195,000, was the home of the Daily. The press upon which this paper was printed, at the speed of 5,000 a minute, cost $92,000. The electrical equipment cost $10,000 more. Telegraph wires ran into this temple of new school journalism. News was handled on the tabloid principle. At 2:30 in the afternoon the great press started. At 6:30 in the afternoon the last electric van rolled away to catch the mails. The next morning the paper was reaching readers on most of the rural delivery routes within 500 miles of St. Louis. The precision of this rapid performance in newspaper issue was marvelous. Minute count. Newspaper men, accustomed to the haste of the daily press were amazed at the celerity which marked every stage of the production of the Woman’s National Daily.
(From the History of St. Louis – The Fourth City by Walter B. Stevens, published in 1909).