KFVE - Overview
A license was granted April 18, 1925 for the station owned by the Film Corporation of America at 6800 Delmar (The Egyptian Building, according to published reports). However, FCC records put the date of the grant at April 3, 1925.
The station was sued by Irving Berlin on October 22, 1925 for copyright infringement stemming from the broadcasting of his music.
Santa Claus appeared on KFVE November 12, 1926, speaking to boys and girls on behalf of Nugent’s Department Store.
On January 1, 1927 the studios were moved from 1111 Olive to the Missouri Hotel at 11th and Locust. The transmitter remained at the University City location, and the frequency was 1400 Kc. Lester Benson was reported to own both KFVE and WIL. On January 15, the broadcasts were cut back while Benson decided on its future. He eventually raided the station, taking most of its on-air staff and putting them on WIL.
March 19 marked the new birth of KFVE. Its studios were moved to the ninth floor of the Hotel Chase, and the new owner was Thomas Convey. The aerial was on the building’s roof near the Solarian.
KFVE and KMOX both broadcast baseball games in 1927. The frequency was now 1250 Kc.
The call letters were changed to KWK on December 1, 1927, and the frequency was changed to 1280 Kc.