The American Journal of Surgery and Gynecology was founded in 1889, by the American Journal Publishing Company. Emory Lanphear, M.D., was editor for four years, and was succeeded by H.E. Pearse, M.D., of Kansas City, who served for two years. L.A. Schaeffer, M.D., also of Kansas City, followed for one year. In 1895 Dr. Lanphear resumed the editorial management...This Journal stands alone in the West in its special field, and has no co-laborers except in New York and Boston.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri edited by Howard L. Conard, 1901).