No. 1 of Vol. 1 was issued September 10th, 1879, James N. Peers, editor and publisher. It was a five column folio, later enlarged to a six , then a seven, and then changed to a five column quarto, cut and pasted. The Herald was independent in politics.
(From The History of Madison County, Illinois by W.R. Brink & Co. 1992).