In 1848, Ephraim Abbott established the Valley Farmer, a small monthly pamphlet. Five years later it was bought by Norman T. Colman, who changed the name to Colman's Rural World, and soon after made it a weekly. Mr. Colman has been its publisher ever since; it is now a six-column quarto with a large circulation. Its specialty is the advocacy of sorghum culture and the manufacturte of sugar from that plant, and it is the only publication in the United States devoted to this industry. It is the organ of many state associations.
(From the History of St. Louis City and County by John Thomas Scharf, 1883).
Merged with the Journal of Agriculture and Star and Farmer to become The Journal of Agriculture.