St. Louis Evangelist History
The St. Louis Evangelist was originally a Presbyterian monthly, founded in January, 1875, by the Rev. J.W. Allen...In the fall of 1882 the Presbyterian News Company was organized (with twenty thousand dollars capital) to publish The Evangelist as a weekly, and in January, 1883, the paper so appeared.
(From the History of St. Louis City and County by John Thomas Scharf, 1883).
Became the Mid-Continent.