Years in print:
In 1864, E.L. Craig, a prominent preacher in the Disciples (or Campbellite) Church, founded the Gospel Echo, a monthly publication, of which he was both editor and proprietor. In 1867, he sold the paper to J.C. Reynolds, a professor in Abingdon College, Illinois, also a preacher in the Christian denomination...who a year later associated with himself J.H. Garrison, a brilliant young graduate of Abingdon College. In 1873 The Gospel Echo was consolidated with The Christian, of Kansas City, and the publication office was removed to St. Louis. A stock company - The Christian Publishing Company - was formed to publish it and other religious works. Gospel Echo was then dropped from the title. James H. Garrison, James B. Goff, and John C. Reynolds were the first directors of the company.
(From the History of St. Louis City and County by John Thomas Scharf, 1883).