Years in print:
The paper was established in 1857 by Messrs. Boyakin and H.L. Fleming as publishers. In 1859 it passed into the hands of Messrs. Stuart and Schoupe, who continued the publication until November, 1860, when G.A. Harvey became publisher. He conducted the paper with great success until August, 1863, when it was purchased by Messrs. Denlinger and Russell.
In January, 1870, it was changed from a seven-column to a nine-column folio.
The paper was for a long time the official paper of the city of Belleville, and in its columns were published the proceedings and edicts of the City Board.
(From the History of St. Clair County, Illinois by Brink, McDonough & Co. 1881).