Years in print:
The Argus was established in Colliinsville August 12, 1871. The Union Publishing Company were the proprietors, and A.W. Angier editor. At the end of the first volume, Angier was succeeded by L.D. Caulk as editor. The paper was then owned by the Collinsville Publishing Company, an organization of the leading business men of the village. Caulk was succeeded by Anton Neustadt, who became both editor and proprietor, having purchased the stock of the company. He had control until August, 1878, when Connolly & Johnson became proprietors of the Argus. Connolly retired from the partnership in January, 1879, and A.W. Johnson continued the paper until August of the same year, when its publication was suspended.
The Argus was a seven column folio. After Mr. Angier retired from the editorship of the Argus, it became Republican in tone and so continued until 1878, when until its suspension, it was run as an Independent paper.
(From The History of Madison County, Illinois by W.R. Brink & Co. 1882).