Years in print:
In the summer of 1858, Dr. Canesius and Christian Schneider established in Alton a German weekly paper which bore the name of the Freie Presse. With the second issue the paper was transferred to Schneider, who continued publication for one year, when it was discontinued.
(From The History of Madison County, Illinois by W.R. Brink & Co. 1882).