Years in print:
The first religious journal in St. Clair County appears to have been the Pioneer. The Prospectus was issued in December of 1828, and the first paper issued April 25th, 1829, at Rock Springs, the seat of Rock Springs Seminary. It was established by Rev. Thos. P. Green, a Baptist minister who brought a hand press and type from Cape Girardeau, Mo. Rev. Green was a practical printer. He was assisted by his two sons, also printers. The Pioneer was a five-column single sheet newspaper, edited by Rev. James (John in some reports) Mason Peck.
In the fall of 1829, Green sold the office to Peck, and on the 14th of June, 1830, Ashford Smith took charge of the printing – Peck remaining editor. The business arrangement continued until 1836, when a partnership was formed between Peck and Smith, and the office was removed to Upper Alton, and there made its appearance as the Western Pioneer and Baptist Standard Bearer.
(From the History of St. Clair County, Illinois by Brink, McDonough & Co. 1881).).