Go Back

Publication Name:

Western Cumberland Presbyterian

Years in print:

1862- 1874

History:

No. 1 of Vol. 1 was issued June, 1862, at Alton. It was intended to supply a demand occasioned by the sale and removal of the St. Louis Observer to the east, leaving all the northwest part of the church without an organ to properly represent them. It was devoted to religion, morality, church information and religious news generally. It was founded and edited by the Rev. J.B Logan. In 1866 he sold the subscription lists to T.H. Perrin but remained editor of the paper until 1868, at which time Rev. J.R. Brown, D.D., bought a half interest in the paper. Dr. Logan then purchased the subscription lists of the Cumberland Presbyterian and united with Dr. Brown. The word "Western" was dropped from the name. The publication, as the Cumberland Presbyterian, was continued until October, 1874, when the paper was sold and removed to Nashville, Tennessee. 

(From The History of Madison County, Illinois by W.R. Brink & Co. 1882)


Masthead Images:


Videos:

Not Yet Implemented

Related Articles: