Years in print:
The West, a three-column thirty-two page monthly, was issued by Hamlin & Co., in September, 1870. Mrs. Ellen M. Mitchell was its editor. Its articles, as well as its illustrations, were nearly all selected from the English periodicals. It suspended some time during the winter of the same year. Mrs. Mitchell was known principally through the nom-de-plume of "Ella Ellwood."
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri by Alexander N. De Menil, 1901).