Years in print:
Confederate Annals, devoted to the history of the Civil War, was begun by J.W. Cunningham in June, 1883. In January, 1884, its name was changed to Union and Confederate Annals. It contained eighty pages. Three or four numbers were issued.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri by Alexander N. De Menil, 1901).
The magazine is the child of circumstances. Two numbers of Confederate Annals were issued from the rooms of the Southern Historical Association, of St. Louis; after which it was deemed expedient by the editor and publisher to change the title to Union and Confederate Annals. The change was considered at a regular meeting of the Association, and by common consent he was left to follow the dictates of his judgment in the matter. He thereupon announced that the change would occur, and the first number of Union and Confederate Annals is now offered to the public. The enterprise grows in importance.
(From Union and Confederate Annals, January 1884).