Years in print:
Louis Willich, the former partner of Joseph Kepler in the publication of Puck in St. Louis, issued Die Laterne after Puck had been transferred to New York. It lived through several years under Willich's management and finally passed into the hands of G. Bruechner & Co., who, in June, 1882, issued an English edition under the name of The Lantern, with Walt. S. Mason, fresh from The Hornet, as principal contributor. Only a few numbers of the English edition were issued.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri by Alexander N. De Menil, 1901).
In 1876, L Suessmann established Die Laterne (The Latern), a humorous and satirical illustrated paper. It was printed in the German language and published weekly. In 1879 it passed into the hands of the Laterne Publishing Company, Louis Willichs, president; G. Brueckner, secretary. In April, 1882, G. Breuckner & Co. became proprietors. In July, 1882, an edition in English was commenced, but after two numbers was discontinued. The Laterne was suspended in the summer of 1882, but in December its publication was resumed by Louis Willichs. Its sprightly humor is appreciated by German readers. (Another paper called The Latern was published in St. Louis in 1851 and 1852.)
(From the History of St. Louis City and County by John Thomas Scharf, 1883).