Years in print:
Societe Literaire de St. Louis, publisher.
This ably edited journal is well known amid the educated portion of the French inhabitants of the city, and likewise among those American families, of whom there is a great number, that are familiar with the French language. It was established in 1854, and has now a circulation of 2,500. It is a weekly sheet, and Mr. Louis Cortambert, a gentleman of fine literary attainments, is its accomplished editor.
(From Edwards’ Great West…and A Complete History of St. Louis by Richard Edwards and Dr. M. Hopewell, 1860).
The first number bore the date of January 7, 1854, and consisted of eight pages of three wide columns each. Its form was afterward changed to four pages of six columns each. The general contents of the weekly Revue consisted of the latest news in brief, correspondence from Paris and New York, local items, short editorials on questions of the day in France and the United States, and a continued story selected from the Paris papers or magazines. In tone it was conservative; politically it was independent; in religion it was broadly Christian. Dr. Nicolas N. De Menil was the managing editor of the Revue during the first year of its existence, and Louis R. Cortambert its editor. A diversity of opinion on religious and political questions leading to acrimonious debates among the stockholders, the paper was sold to G. Morhard and J. Wolff in December, 1854, L.R. Cortambert remaining as editor. In accordance with the views of its new proprietors, the Revue at once became red-Republican and anti-Catholic; it proclaimed the doctrines of the Abolition party, and took up the cudgel in defense of spiritualism and socialism. As the masses of the French and Franco-American people of the Mississippi Valley were Democrats and Catholics and resided in slave states, the Revue declined rapidly in circulation and advertising patronage during the second year of its publication. Nevertheless, it continued being printed until 1864.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, Alexander N. De Menil, 1902).