Years in print:
In the Fall of 1878 Mr. Robert B. Crossman, of the City of St. Louis, began the publication of the St. Louis County Republican. It was issued from Kirkwood and was a staunch Republican weekly. It was a seven-column folio, ably edited, neatly printed and kindly received in the county, especially in Kirkwood and vicinity. The way the new venture “took” was demonstrated to the publisher, not alone by the growth of his paid subscription list, but by overtures made to him by leading Republicans to give up his St. Louis social and business connections and cast his lot with the county. The arguments were supplemented by Hon. R.C. Allen and associates with offers of a business nature that, with other reasons, induced Mr. Crossman to remove his printing office to Clayton, where he located in the basement room of the Court House building…Clayton at that time contained the Court House in the middle of the public square and a half-dozen houses fronting the square. Here the publication was continued under the [new] name of the Star-Republican.
(Originally published in The History of St. Louis County by William L. Thomas, 1911).