Go Back

Publication Name:

Saint Louis Ladies’ Magazine

Years in print:

1871- 1873


The St. Louis Ladies' Magazine was a fifty-six page monthly, illustrated, and on the general plan of the successful Eastern ladies' magazines of that day - Godey's, Peterson's and Arthur's. The first number was issued in May, 1871; Miss Margaret L. Johnson was the editor and proprietor. Its literature proper was of the "light" quality; the fashion plates were furnished by William Barr & Co., the musical department was edited by Kunkel Bros., and the fancy work department by Mme. Lucie F. D'Episy...In 1872 the St. Louis Ladies was transferred to Miss Julia M. Purinton and Mrs. Anna Robertson Noxon, who, after issuing a few numbers, discontinued its publication.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri by Alexander N. De Menil, 1901).

Masthead Images:


Not Yet Implemented

Related Articles: