Years in print:
The first religious periodical published in St. Louis, and probably in the Mississippi Valley, was the Shepherd of the Valley, Catholic, in 1832, edited by Bishop Rosati.
(From the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri edited by Howard L. Conard, 1902).
In 1834 or 1835 the Shepherd of the Valley was established as the organ of the Catholic Church. In 1851, R.A. Bakewell re-established the Shepherd of the Valley. It existed until 1854, and became the property of Rev. Dr. J.H. High and J. Gilman, LL.D., who made it a "Know-Nothing" organ under the title of The True Shepherd of the Valley and St. Louis Know-Nothing.
(From the History of St. Louis City and County by John Thomas Scharf, 1883).
Weekly began as an organ of the Catholic church. Merged with Missouri Cascade to become True Shepherd and Cascade.
Var.: Pasteur de la Vallee (published in French) for two issues in November 1832.